Wednesday, July 21, 2010

If all the filth on my hands is composed of polar molecules, would it be necessary to wash my hands with soap?

This is probably a pretty stupid question, so forgive me chemist experts








Okay, but since water is polar, wouldn't its IMF attraction with the filth on my hands (assuming that the filth's molecules are all polar) clean it off without the help of soap (which is made of lichens anyway)?





Please, please, PLEASE correct me if this makes no sense at all. It'll give me a hint to retake chemistry.If all the filth on my hands is composed of polar molecules, would it be necessary to wash my hands with soap?
Yes, always.If all the filth on my hands is composed of polar molecules, would it be necessary to wash my hands with soap?
What you say makes sense to me.





Although the skin does secrete non-polar oils which would also collect non-polar filth. So washing with soap is generally a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment