Saturday, July 24, 2010

FOR MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS! Soap/hand sanitizer causing rashes on my hands?

So, I'm volunteering at a hospital, and quickly learned that the soap and/or hand sanitizer is causing rashes all over my hands. (I know it's not latex from the gloves causing the rashes - the gloves I use are latex-free) Am I just a person with really sensitive skin? Or could it be that I have an allergy? And what the heck do I do?





MORE DETAILS:


While I'm at the hospital, I'm either answering the phone, doing paperwork/filing, making beds, bringing patients water, handing out lunch trays or picking up lunch trays. When I do work with patients, it's HEALTHY postpartum patients, so I don't think I picked anything up from someone...FOR MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS! Soap/hand sanitizer causing rashes on my hands?
OH, don't rule out the gloves just because they are latex free. I'm currently working with a person that is allergic to our latex free gloves!


What you need to do is go to Employee Health and have the nurse take a look, they will know which it is.


They may have you try some special gloves to rule out the gloves and they may have you try a different hand sanitizer to rule that one out....these are the two biggest culprits in the hospitals that I've worked at, so go get it checked out for if it's a true allergy, you don't want to mess with it because it could someday become a very big problem for you.FOR MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS! Soap/hand sanitizer causing rashes on my hands?
Hard to say without seeing the rash.





So consider the following, is it a short term irritation rash because now your hands are being dried out by the use of both hand sanitizer and soap? If so, try keeping a good hand lotion in your jacket and keep them moisturized and see if that helps. Like Aveeno?





Otherwise, you have to rule out whether the rash is from the soap or the hand sanitizer. So avoid one or the other and see how it goes.





In your line, you really dont need to do soap and water, just sanitizer, soap and water is for when your hands are soiled first.

No comments:

Post a Comment